What Are The Different Parts Of The Audience-side Of A Theatre Called?


2 Answers

Mark Westbrook Profile
Mark Westbrook answered
I will answer this question from the UK perspective, because in the US there is different standard terminology and someone like BillNutt will fill you in on the US parlance.

The area that you come into when you first enter the theatre is called the Foyer, there may also be a Box Office are and potentially and possible (because it raises more money than the theatre itself) a bar or/and a restaurant/cafe. Then we move into the auditorium, where the seats are. There are rows of seats on many levels. The very top is called The Gods or the Balcony, the second from top is called The Upper Circle, the top is called the Dress Circle, the bottom on the ground leading from the doors out to the stage is called the stalls. All of this area is known as 'Front of House' and is supervised by a Front of House (or FOH) Manager or a House Manager.
Bil Nutt Profile
Bil Nutt answered
Uh-oh. The pressure is on me!

Briefly: The seats on the same level as the stage are called the "orchestra seats." The seats toward the back of this level are sometimes called the "loge."

The level above the orchestra is called the "mezzanine." Depending on the size of the theater, there might be two (or even three) levels called the mezzanine. The front mezzanine is the name given to the level just above the orchestra.

The top level is known as the "balcony."

In addition, some theaters have "box seats," which are a handful of seats on the same level as the front mezzanine but off to the sides.

Hope this helps!

Answer Question