Rit Dye can usually be purchased in large supermarkets such as Walmart or Target. You can also buy the fabric dye online through amazon.com or their official website www.ritdye.com/
- In order to use the dye correctly and to get the best results on your fabric you need to firstly re-wash the clothes or cushions etc that you are planning on dying. With regards to clothing you should make sure that any dirt is removed and it is cleaned thoroughly before use.
- Once your fabric is ready you should prepare to heat the water by firstly pouring three-quarters of it into a large pot. Place in on the stove, fire up a medium to high temperature and wait for the water to simmer.
- Fill up 2 cups of hot water and then put the powdered dye provided into the cups so they can dissolve. Once that's done you should pour it into the pot of simmering water. Keep in mind that if you're using liquid dye, just simply pour half the bottle into the simmering water pot. Stir the mixture thoroughly.
- The dye is now ready but before you immerse your clothes in it you should dampen them slightly with hot water and smooth out any wrinkles.
- Submerge the clothes into the dye mixture and stir them around for approximately half an hour.
- Once the 30 minutes are up, carefully remove the clothes and rinse them out using warm water first and then gradually let the water get cooler. Once the dye has run out you should stick them in the washing machine using a warm water and cold rinse. Hang them out to dry once they cycle's complete.